25.6.10

Reading books for Magga


Gwyneth Paltrow recommended her favorite children books in Goop.
So this makes me thinking about mine.
These are what I read and want to read to Magga.




Harold and the purple crayon by Crockett Johnson
Apart from being the classic one,
this is the first book that Kanchit gave to me.
That’s why I love reading this to Magga, for our good memory.





Shel Silverstein’s book
I read his books to 4 kids that I’ve known in my life.
3 of my nieces and one of my son.
All I can say is that all of them love his books.
My first niece is now 15 years old so that was almost 12 years ago.
I love his image at the back cover of the giving tree.
When they asked me who this guy was,
and then they got reluctant to believe that he’s the writer
when I told them he was.
But after reading his books again and again
they told me that this guy was so gentle.
I found how amazing it was to see them getting to know people
from…..inside out.





The Grilled fish by Oguma Hideo
This was translated from Japanese to Thai.
It’s the story about the Mackerel fish
that was caught and sold in the market.
But all of the time it’s longing to go back home…the sea.
I got this book from my best friend as a present for my birthday.
It was one of my favorite present that I ever got.





The Crescent moon by Rabindranath Tagore
Beautiful poems that’s easy to read for children.
I got this copy from my best friend when Magga was born.
I love Rabindranath Tagore.





The zoo by Suwannee Sukhonta
This book was written in Thai.
Suwannee was an amazing woman.
She was a mother, a writer, an artist, an editor
who was ahead of her time.
The way she wrote was like painting a picture.
I love the beautiful words in her book.
She was so irreplaceable.





Little Wan By Sarawok
This classic was also written only in Thai.
It's the story about the little girl called Wan
who’s living in the countryside.
I still remember that my sister got this book
as her birthday present from our parents,
when she was 12 years old and I was 8 years old at that time.
I love Nu Wan ever since.
It was said that lots of Nu wan's perspective
was based on Marxism.
But it was one of the hundred books
that was recommended to read for Thai children.
Find the first edition to read (if you could).
Because some has been censored,
when recommended by the government.
No matter what,
her thoughts about the world around her are still timeless.






watch harold and the purple crayon here
visit shel silverstein official site
read the crescent moon by rabindranath tagore in enlish here
if you could read thai download little wan pdf file from here

No comments: