21.11.09

Gingham, Tartan, Plaid....I'm so confused


Ever wonder....what's the difference between them?....I do.
And because English is my second language
so I have to search for the answers.
And this is what make me understand.......
that I mixed up with those for a long time.



Gingham

I just have known that what I like is called "Gingham"

GINGHAM usually comes in a checkered pattern 
and is distinguished by white and colored, even-sized checks.
This pattern is formed by horizontal and vertical stripes 
(usually of the same color) 
that cross each other on a white background to form even checks.

(More details here)




Tartan and Plaid

"Tartan" and "Plaid" make me even more confused.............

TARTAN is a pattern consisting of criss-crossed horizontal 
and vertical bands in multiple colours.
Tartans originated in woven cloth, now used in many other materials.
Tartan is also known as PLAID in North America,
but in Scotland, a plaid is a tartan cloth slung over the shoulder or a blanket.
Today the term PLAID is commonly used to describe what is actually TARTAN.

(Read more at wikipedia)
.



Madras

And then there is "Madras" that I've seen this word at A.P.C line.

MARDRAS is a lightweight cotton fabric
with typically patterned texture and plaid design,
noted for its diffused bands of colour
due to the use of non-colourfast dyes bleeding into each other,
used primarily for summer clothing....pants, shorts, dresses and jackets.
The fabric takes its name from the former English name of the city of Chennai, India.
As a fabric, it is notable because the front and back of the fabric are indistinguishable.

(Read from here)

.
.
I hope what I'm thinking now is correct. (sigh...)


No comments: